Thursday, March 19, 2015

Last Block Finished!

I finished the last block for the purple and gray wedding quilt last night.  
I have one more block cut out.  
My friend, Rebekah, who has directed this quilt production, assures me that I need to make that and one more for pillows! 
 HA!  I will see if I have time for that.  

Here is the last block for the quilt. 
 You may or may not have noticed that every pair is opposite each other.  
The pattern has you cut out a "star" and also the center and corners to make 2 blocks.  
I didn't use the same fabrics together in both of the blocks though, I mixed them up.
More of the chemical structure fabric in this block for the future doctor.


I also saw this recently on FB and thought I would share with you all. 
I want to be this woman.  
I don't want to require validation in my quilting world to drive my life.  

I strive every day to do what I love.  
I work hard to be my own person and be happy in my life. 
 I think most of us do that.  
I struggle every day with not getting caught up in the competition of quilting. 
 The "I have to publish", or get sponsors etc.  
I try to stay grounded. 
Sometimes it is not easy. 
 I was actually thinking about this the other day. 
 Sometimes it is nice to just make beautiful things from other people's patterns.  


I work full time and don't really have a lot of extra time.  
I want to balance spending time with my family and quilting. 
 I don't think anyone in the quilting community will miss me as much as my family when I am gone.  So it is important to make time for them too.  Deadlines are not good friends for this.  
I am striving to get better at doing what I love, making, and less time worrying 
about the competition of quilting.  
Maybe no one else is struggling with this, maybe some of you are. 
 If you have any tips on how you handle it please feel free to share with the rest of us!

I love to create and to make beautiful things.  That is enough.

~XOP~


4 comments:

beaquilter said...

looks great!

Unknown said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly! Family first. Period. You don't need to validate your life our your self our your quilting with anyone else. Do your thing, live your life! I quilt from my heart for the people I love and for charity. It makes me happy; keeps me, my hands and my mind busy. Life is good :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

We tend to put a lot of pressure on ourselves about what we SHOULD be doing. I hope you find the balance that you need, and not worry so much about what others think of you. We are all struggling here, and I know I am proud of how much you accomplish.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Do what you love and love what you do. There are times I worry I don't make as many beautiful things as others, but I do enjoy the process and it helps my creativity urge I have. I am always in awe of all you get done and you work full time.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~